We the Sisters of Sacred Heart Congregation founded by venerable Fr. Mathew Kadalikattil with the charism of ‘EXPERIENCING AND SHARING THE COMPASSIONATE LOVE OF SACRED HEART OF JESUS’ which dispose us to the service of God and Humanity.
Fr.Mathew Kadalikkattil was a fervant devotee of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and a man of compassionate heart whose love for God found expression in the concern for the poor and forlorn. Reading the signs of the time and understanding the needs of the Church Rev. Fr. Mathew Kadalikkattil a parish priest, recognized the necessity of starting Sacred Heart Congregation. His long felt desire was realized with the beginning of Sacred Heart Congregation on 1st January 1911 at Pala in the diocese of Changanacherry. Holy father Pope Benedict XVI, concerning the Heroic Virtues of the Servant of God Fr. Mathew Kadalikkattil , raised him to the status of ‘Venerable’ on 27th June 2011.
Our Heritage and Identity
“Your desire must be to become the spouses of the meek and humble Sacred Heart of Jesus. For this you must learn well the example of Jesus from the manger to Calvary” (Life of the Founder). Our heritage is the simple and hard life of discipleship to Christ manifested in the above words of the Founder.
Unshakable trust in God, Prayer, incessant obedience, love of hard work, unconditional service, a poor and humble life, identifying with the poor, a behavior pattern that respects human values and availability in the undeveloped areas are the distinguishing characteristics of our heritage that manifests the identity of our Congregation.
Our apostolate covers under the four main heads such as Proclamation of the Gospel, Charitative Activities, Education and Social Welfare Activities
History and Development
Decades back, farsighted authorities of S H Congregation felt the importance of providing medical/health care to the poor and needy in the society. As a preliminary step, a Cancer Institute and a Maternity Centre was started in a rented house in Kottayam town in 1968. With the support and encouragement of people from all walks of life, the congregation was ready to move forward to the next level. On 21st September 1969, a full- fledged hospital was blessed in the name of Sacred Heart of Jesus and inaugurated by Blessed Rev. Mathew Kavukattu, Arch Bishop of Changanacherry.
The hospital functions as a charitable institution registered (K 268/87) under Travancore-Cochin Literary, Scientific and Charitable Society’s Registration Act 1955. S H Medical Centre is owned and administrated by St. Mathews Province of SH Congregation, Parel,Changanacherry. Kottayam District and offers a wide range of highly specialized medical, surgical and diagnostic services with sophisticated and state-of-the art technology.
From the humble beginning with one block and ten beds in 1969, S. H. Medical Centre has now flourished into a multi specialty hospital with 6 main blocks covering an area of 6 Lakh sq. ft.
The Hospital’s effort to provide quality health care with compassion has rewarded with the honor of being one of the top healthcare provider in Kerala. With the service-oriented Healthcare delivery model, S. H. Medical Centre is geared to provide cost effective and user friendly medication.